Friday, June 26, 2009

Bishop @ The Talent Farm, Pembroke Pines, FL 6/26/07

Tonight i headed out to the talent farm to see what turned out to be a really fun show! The line up included Knock Em Dead & Forty Winters, who used the show as their tour kickoff, Thick As Blood and Bishop, who headlined.

First up, we had Forty Winters. Let me give you a little back story on this band. I have to start by saying that FW have to be some of the nicest dudes I've ever met. When I first saw Forty Winters a couple of years ago, they were playing tech metal. A lot of shred, a lot of blasting. They played shows with a handful of bands who all fell by the wayside. Forty Winters did the exact opposite. They came back from a break with some new members, and a whole new sound. Forty Winters have now earned the nickname "Reigning Mosh Metal Kings", and for good reason. Their new EP, the Honor Campaign, is packed with mosh metal reminiscent of bands like The Acacia Strain and First Blood. I honestly have to say, although I absolutely loved old FW, the new style fits them a lot better, and they came back from a break and built up a new, bigger fanbase. These guys are an absolute blast to watch live. Their frontman, Xavier, is charismatic and holds it down vocally. Tonight they impressed me, as always. Definitely check out Forty Winters if you haven't already done so.

Next up were Forty Winters' current tour-mates, Knock Em Dead. I have to be honest, I'm really not to keen on the whole Tough-Guy Hardcore thing. I find alot of it cheesy and generic. But there's something about KED that gets me every time I see them. They honestly bring some of the best energy I've ever seen from any band, local or otherwise. Like Forty Winters, these guys are, although intimidating, really friendly, good dudes. They just signed to Eulogy Records and have a new record coming out soon, so keep on the lookout for that.

After KED were fellow Miami outfit Thick As Blood. You have probably already heard, or at least heard of, Thick As Blood. TAB have alot of buzz around them, both negative and positive. This is one of those bands where everyone I talk to has really strong opinions. Either they absolutely love TAB, or they shit talk them to no end. I've got to say, TAB knows how to have a good time. They always deliver live, and thats really something that I look for in a scene full of, "hey were bored and in high school and we've heard Emmure a couple of times so I think we'll start a metallic hardcore band and we don't have to play tight live as long as we have br00tal fucking mosh parts recorded" bands. Quite a mouthful yes, but there's gotta be someone else out there who feels the same way about it. So wether you dig TAB or not, at least respect and appreciate the live show that they put on.

Finally, Hardcore heavyweights Bishop. If you're even remotely involved with hardcore, or Florida music in general, you know Bishop. These guys are another group of really awesome dudes, and are really one of the bands responsible for getting me into hardcore. They played tonight with the Josh from The Red Baron/New City Lions filling in on bass, and they were tight regardless. Their new album, Drugs, is fucking awesome. It takes a step away from the moshy new-school hardcore that they played on Suicide Party and moves more towards straight up grimey, thrashy, old-school influenced hardcore. Definitely catch these guys live if you get a chance, and be sure to check out Drugs, which is out on Dead Truth.

Overall, the show was awesome. I ended up going REALLY last minute and boy am I glad i did!

No comments:

Post a Comment